Choosing the right paint for the surface will help ensure that you achieve a quality paint job that will last.
Ceilings - Use specially formulated flat ceiling paint. The flat finish hides irregularities and lap marks. Ceiling paint rolls on with minimal spatter and won't yellow over time.
Browse paints recommended for ceilings
Woodwork - Use either latex or oil/alkyd paint. Always prime bare wood. Easy-to-clean semi-gloss finishes are first choice, but when wear-and-tear is modest, flat or satin finishes are fine selections.
Browse paints recommended for doors and trim
Walls - Because it's easy to work with, latex paint is an excellent choice for do-it-yourself projects. Latex paints can be applied over properly primed drywall, wood or masonry.
Browse paints recommended for walls
Metal - Use either latex or oil/alkyd paint on properly primed iron or steel. You can apply latex directly on aluminum and galvanized metal. However, these metals need to be properly primed if you're using oil/alkyd-based paint.
Browse primers recommended for metal
Masonry - For cement, concrete block and brick surfaces, acrylic latex wall paint designed for masonry surfaces is an excellent choice.
Browse primers recommended for masonry
Floors - Use a product specifically designed for floor to stand up to abrasion, traffic and heavy scrubbing.
- Use our Color Visualizer to virtually paint rooms with more than 1,500 colors. You can even upload a photo of your own room to paint.
- Get the ColorSnap app to find Sherwin-Williams colors that match your favorite smartphone snapshots.
- Pick up a copy of the Simply Color brochure to learn how to create an attractive color palette for your home.
- Select and coordinate colors with our Concepts in Color idea cards.
- Choose from historically accurate Preservation Palettes or inspiring Lifestyle Collections featuring the latest color trends.
- Test colors on your walls with trial-size Color To Go paint samples.
- If you're looking to recreate a custom color, the Sher-Color matching system can give you the exact color you want with computerized accuracy.