Tinseltown’s biggest star – The Hollywood Sign – was restored to its full beauty once again thanks to a historic "face-lift" from Sherwin-Williams and The Hollywood Sign Trust. The Hollywood Sign’s most extensive refurbishment in nearly 35 years was completed just in time for the Sign to celebrate its 90th birthday in 2013.
Refurbishing an Icon
To ensure the makeover endures the test of time, the existing coatings were removed from each of the letters, a time-intensive process completed almost entirely by hand. Next, painters applied 105 gallons of Sherwin-Williams Pro Industrial™ Pro-Cryl® Universal Acrylic Primer – a product specially designed for surfaces where rust and corrosion resistance is critical. Lastly, they applied two coats – 255 gallons – of Emerald Exterior Acrylic Latex Paint in Sherwin-Williams High Reflective White (SW7757). Emerald Exterior Paint offers extreme resistance to blistering, peeling, chalking, fading, mold, mildew and dirt pickup.
Quick Facts on the Face-lift
- The Hollywood Sign is 450 feet wide - each letter stands 45’ high and ranges between 31’ and 39’ wide
- This was the Sign's most extensive refurbishment since it was built in the late 70s
- The Sign’s nine letters had all existing coatings removed before being primed and painted
- The Sign's color is Sherwin-Williams High Reflective White (SW7757)
- The Sign was painted with 255 gallons of Emerald™ Exterior Acrylic Latex Paint in Satin
- The Sign was primed with 105 gallons of Pro Industrial™ Pro-Cryl® Universal Acrylic Primer
- The refurbishment took nine weeks to complete
View a time-lapse video of the Hollywood Sign's historic refurbishment from Sherwin-Williams.
Learn more about the Hollywood Sign's most extensive renovation in nearly 35 years.